Friday, August 12, 2016

50SHR #20: Kix (Maryland)


50 STATES OF HARD ROCK #20: MARYLAND

 

Band: Kix
Release: Midnite Dynamite
Year: 1985
Line-up: Steve Whiteman (vocals), Brian Forsythe (guitars), Ronnie Younkins (guitars), Donnie Purnell (bass), Jimmy Chalfant (drums)

Track Listing:
1.  Midnite Dynamite  3:48
2.  Red Hot (Black and Blue)  3:22
3.  Bang Bang (Balls of Fire)  3:58
4.  Layin' Rubber  3:51
5.  Walkin' Away  4:55
6.  Scarlet Fever  4:18
7.  Cry Baby  4:16
8.  Cold Shower  5:01
9.  Lie Like a Rug  3:40
10.  Sex  3:55



Fletchanator's comment: While there are undoubtedly more obscure hard rock bands from Maryland (like Nasty Habit for instance) I'm not going to pass up any opportunity to share my love of Kix, who hailed from Hagerstown MD. As mentioned when I shared 1988's Blow My Fuse here I bought that album on cassette when it came out and instantly fell in love with Kix, who to this day are one of my favourite glam/sleaze hard rock bands.
Here we have Kix's third studio album and the first to feature guitarist Ronnie "10/10" Younkins. While I do enjoy their first two albums a great deal, it was the pairing of Younkins with Brian "Damage" Forsythe that produced the band's "classic" sound as heard on this album, Blow My Fuse and 1991's Hot Wire. The album opens with the catchy title track and doesn't let up, producing great song after great song. Special mention needs to be made of the ballad Walkin' Away, which is on par with their biggest hit, Don't Close Your Eyes, in terms of beautiful melodic sound.
Kix rocks, pure and simple!

No comments: